By: Jamie Purviance
The lively collection of flavors brought together in this salsa stand up boldly to grilled steak. The creamy avocado also plays well against the slight spiciness of the rub. If you’d like more heat, add some minced jalapeño or serrano chiles to the salsa.
Chipotle Flank Steak w/Black Bean Avocado Salsa
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 avocado, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion, rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
RUB & STEAK
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 lb. flank steak (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Combine all salsa ingredients in medium nonreactive bowl. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.
Combine all steak ingredients except steak and oil in small bowl. Brush both sides of steak with oil; sprinkle with rub.
Heat grill. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or coals 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Slice across the grain into 1/2-inch slices. Serve with salsa.