A website I’ve been visiting since the last millennium, JalapenoCafe.com, can be attributed to this delicious Tex-Mex recipe.
Green Cream Enchiladas
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
- salt (to taste)
- 1 4-oz can chopped green chiles
- 12 corn tortillas, softened (preparing tortillas)
- 1/2 cup grated manchego or Swiss cheese
Green Cream Sauce
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 (4-oz)can green chiles
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt (to taste)
- Cook chicken in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Remove from heat and cool. Shred chicken, add chopped green chilies and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Make Green Cream Sauce. Cook spinach according to package directions. Cool and wrap spinach in towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Measure about 1/2 cup spinach and set aside. Use remainder for another use.
- Place 1/2 cup spinach, green chiles and 1 cup of the cream in blender or food processor and blend about 15 seconds until vegetables are pureed.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and stir in the pureed mixture and the remaining cream. Simmer for about five minutes (until slightly thickened) and add salt to taste and remove from heat.
- Assemble Enchiladas. Place about 1 tablespoon of shredded chicken mixture just off center in each tortilla and roll up. Place enchiladas in a shallow baking dish, open side down. Ladle the green cream sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake in 425 degree oven about 10 minutes until heated through. Run enchiladas under the broiler to lightly brown the cheese.