A blend of flavors from Southeast Asia and Italy make this truly a fusion recipe idea!
Thai Curry Risotto
- 2 Ts coconut oil
- ¾ lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 4), cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
- 2 tsps grated or finely minced ginger
- ¾ C arborio rice
- 3 Ts red curry paste
- 2 ½ Cs chicken broth, warmed
- 1 ½ Cs (1 12oz can) coconut milk, divided
- 1 T lime juice (from 1 lime), or to taste
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T soy sauce
- 4 baby bok choy, tough core removed and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 C cubed pineapple chunks
- small handful basil leaves, torn or cut into thin ribbons
Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, flipping once or twice, until evenly browned. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, then add onion, garlic, and ginger to saucepan. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute, then add rice and curry paste, stirring until evenly coated.
Add warm chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until broth is mostly absorbed before adding more. Once all of the chicken broth has been added (about 20 minutes), add 1 cup of coconut milk and stir until mostly absorbed and rice is almost done, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk along with lime juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Return chicken to saucepan along with bok choy and tomato and cook until rice is al dente and chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Stir in pineapple chunks and basil. Taste and add additional lime juice, sugar, and/or soy sauce as desired.
Divide among serving bowls and serve warm, topped with more basil if desired.