A chíc variation of the Southern classic with a little New York flair.
Nouveau Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound green tomatoes sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- generous sprinkling of white pepper
- Crème fraîche with chopped chives for serving
- Garnish with basil leaves
In a medium bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper.
Put the eggs in another medium bowl and toss the bread crumbs and grated Parmesan in a third bowl.
Dredge the tomato slices in the flour/cornmeal/bread crumbs/white pepper mixture, then coat them in the egg, letting any excess drip back into the bowl.
Coat in the bread crumbs, pressing to help them adhere.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
Add the breaded tomatoes in a single layer and cook them over moderately high heat, turning once, until deeply golden and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.
Transfer the tomato slices to paper towel—lined plates.
Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with Crème fraîche drizzle and a basil sprig, nice with a few of the basil flowers and tender leaves.
Variations: Instead of white pepper use Old Bay Seasoning.
Reblogged from greekgirrrl on GroupRecipes.com.