This is a recipe that I jotted down from memory after successfully creating a sauteed vegetable medley from some recently grown vegetables that just happened to avail themselves. The results were favorable – everyone who partook agreed!
Sauteed Zucchini, Squash Medley
- 4 medium zucchinis moderately sliced (aprox. 1/8″)
- 4 medium summer squash moderately sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic finely minced
- 3 tspns olive oil
- 6 ozs butter
- 10oz stewed tomatoes
- 8 oz pickled pepper salsa
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tspn red pepper flakes
- 2 tspns oregano
- 1 dash of basil
- 1 sprig watercress (garnish)
- 1 tblspn parmesan cheese finely grated
Heat oil on high flame in large, heavy gauge skillet, adding garlic, onion and bell peppers.
As garlic, onion and peppers begin to sizzle, stir in zucchini, squash and reduce heat.
Add stewed tomatoes, salsa and sautee for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add salt, pepper, pepper flakes, oregano and basil.
Lower heat, cover, and allow to sautee for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove from skillet and immediately serve topped with parmesan cheese to taste and adding watercress for garnish.