Satisfy your craving for Tex-Mex with this easy casserole. The ground beef can be substituted with chicken or anything else you so desire. No rules, just muy bueno!
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 6 medium tortillas
- 2-3 pounds ground beef.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1-2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Drizzle olive oil into bottom of 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add a tortilla, one at a time, to the skillet. Cook until crisp on each side and place onto a kitchen pan lined with paper towels.
- Add diced onions and garlic to skillet. Cook until just tender. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Add beef to skillet and cook until completely browned. Remove from heat and drain away any drippings. Add onions and garlic back to beef and stir to combine.
- Spoon about ½ cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spread enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place 3 tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce, overlapping them slightly at the edges to make all 3 tortillas fit lengthwise. Ladle on additional enchilada sauce, about ½ cup. Layer on beef, onion and garlic mixture, making sure to spread mixture evenly over tortillas and enchilada sauce.
- Top with large dollops of sour cream and spread slightly. Sprinkle on a little of both cheeses.
- Repeat layering with 3 more tortillas, enchilada sauce, beef mixture, sour cream, and end with cheeses.
- Bake in oven until cheeses have melted, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.