With the arrival of Fall, how ’bout a hearty, healthy soup to ward off the chill?
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium potato, skinned & diced
- 24 ozs can diced tomatoes
- 1 C zuchinni, diced
- 1 C cut green beens
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Cs water
- 4 Cs chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ lb Swiss chard, leaves & stems, roughly chopped
- 2 Cs spinach, chopped
- 1 C Nappa cabbage, chopped
- 15 ozs cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ozs red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ C chickpeas
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ Cs ditalini or similar small pasta
- parmesan cheese, shredded, grated, or shaved, for presentation
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
In a large pot, heat the olive oil and cook the onions, celery, carrots and diced potatoes until soft. Add the garlic, diced tomatoes (with juice), salt and pepper, and stir for one more minute.
Add the water, stock, tomato sauce, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
Add the spinach, chard, cabbage, chickpeas, cannellini beans, kidney beans, and red pepper flakes, then simmer for about an hour.
- Add spinach, green beans, and zucchini and allow to cook for an addition 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the pasta and cook until al dente.
Top with parmesan cheese and serve with Italian bread.