Sometimes you can put down your dietary guard and splurge, like when you’re ravenously hungry for a solid breakfast. Try this overnight breakfast casserole for a Sunday brunch!
French Toast Casserole
- 1 – stick butter (1/2 cup) melted
- 12 – slices Texas toast or any leftover bread
- 1 – cup brown sugar
- 1 – teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 – teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 – eggs
- 1 1/2 – cups milk
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
Pour melted butter into 9×13 baking dish.
Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla extract together.
Layer baking dish with half of the bread slices.
Sprinkle half brown sugar mix over bread.
Add second layer of bread slices.
Pour egg mixture over bread slices, covering evenly.
Sprinkle remaining brown sugar on top.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Remove casserole from refrigerator and cover with fresh foil.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes, until browned and set.
Sprinkle powdered sugar on top prior to serving.
- Optional: Pour a little bit of maple syrup on top of casserole. Place back in the oven and using your ovens broiler, broil for about 5-7 minutes to caramelize the top.
Adapted from Mommy’s Kitchen Overnight French Toast Casserole.