This recipe has been a mainstay of my sustenance for over thirty years and all of the credit for it goes to my lovely Grandmother who, in turn, passed it on to Mom and then to me. It is one of the first creations I ever attempted and still remains an integral part of my cooking repertoire, especially during the Fall and Winter months.
Spicy Sausage Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean HOT Premium Pork Sausage
- 16 ozs V8
- 1 large vidalia onion (diced)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 can or 2 ears of fresh yellow corn with kernels removed from cob
- 1 large carrot (sliced)
- 1 medium bag of frozen succotash (green beans, lima beans and red & green peppers)
- 2 medium potatoes (pealed and diced)
- 1 tbsp Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- 1 tsp Celery salt
- 1 tsp Cracked black pepper
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 tsp parsley
- Louisiana hot sauce
Brown the sausage in a large soup pot and drain-off oil.
Add onion, celery, carrot slices and potatoes to the pot and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add browned sausage to the post and stir into onions, celery and potatoes.
Stir in V8.
Stir in stewed tomatoes.
Add entire bag of mixed vegetables.
Stir in corn kernels.
Add garlic salt, pepper, sage, Lee & Perrins and bay leaf.
Cook on low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring frequently. Add water to control thickness of the mixture as desired.
Prior to serving, sprinkle parsley on top add a dash or more of hot sauce to taste.